The Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency is one of nine area education agencies in the state. They were created by the 1974 Iowa Legislature to ensure all children have equal educational opportunities. AEA’s serve as intermediate units providing educational services to local schools.
More than 50,000 students in public and approved non-public schools in 153 buildings are served by the Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency. This area includes all of Clinton, Scott and Muscatine counties, as well as parts of Cedar, Jackson and Louisa counties.
The Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency provides programs and services designed to support quality education for all students by improving teaching and learning. The programs and services we provide are measured by alignment to our mission and goals.
The Mission of the Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency is to improve teaching and learning for all students through active partnerships and assertive leadership in a climate of mutual respect.
- Increase the percentage of low socioeconomic, individualized education programs, and minority students achieving reading proficiency in grades 3-8, and 11.
- Increase the percentage of low socioeconomic, individualized education programs, and minority students achieving math proficiency in grades 3-8, and 11.
- Increase the percentage of low socioeconomic, individualized education programs, and minority students achieving science proficiency in grades 5, 8, and 11.
- We believe the student is our first priority.
- We believe each individual has potential to grow.
- We believe in the dignity and uniqueness of each individual.
- We believe that students differ in their abilities and recognize they have diverse talents that should be discovered and developed.
- We believe in equity.
- We believe in accountability.
- We believe in the importance of life-long learning.
- We believe in the power of partnerships.
- We believe in the power of personal commitment.
- We will offer only programs and services that promote the mission of the Agency.
- We will always strive for commitment rather than compliance.
- We will never make decisions without considering the needs of all students served by the agency.
- We will never make decisions without considering the needs of all the school districts served by the agency.
- We will never usurp the authority of the local school district.
- Develop a cross-divisional delivery system to provide effective, efficient, and timely services targeted to meet building level student learning, professional development, and system support needs.
- Focus special education resources (student, professional development, system services) to address U.S. Department of Education IDEA Performance Indicators for students with disabilities.
- Deliver research-based reading, mathematics, and science strategies to improve performance (student, professional, development, and system services).
"Challenges Facing Iowa" Power Point - Presented by Judy Jeffrey, Iowa Department of Education (Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency Board Banquet, April 21, 2009) (PDF)